Thursday, July 7, 2016

Confessions of a Tomboy

In case many don't know the definition of a tomboy, it's a girl who enjoys  rough, noisy activities traditionally associated with boys. Many may not believe it now, but I grew up a tomboy. When I was in grade school, I rocked jeans and t-shirts and rubber shoes. While other girls were learning to do their makeup and curl their hair (never really learned how to curl my hair. I just end up burning my fingers and putting creases in my hair that makes it look like I've had it in a ponytail all day long), I was learning how to handle a slingshot. When other girls were fixing their hair everyday for class, mine was thrown in a haphazard low ponytail. Dresses were the bane of my existence. I thought makeup was the weirdest thing ever and the only color I had on my face were my freckles splattered on my face from long days outside riding my bike (which my Daddy taught me how to ride.) or playing basketball with my brother.

My Mom tried to raise a pink-loving, ballet-dancing little girl. But my Daddy won  - I came out tougher than nails who does not take shit from anyone. Although my appearance changed, my personality didn’t. I have definitely left the tomboy fashion behind. I still don't love painting my nails because they are always chipped, but I do my hair every morning. Now, I'm always wearing light makeup, and I do love a good sun dress. I am still incapable of wearing tights without ripping a hole in them so I just avoid them altogether. So yes, I did grow out of my tomboy stage like most girls do, but there are still a few exceptions. Many would say I got my Daddy's tongue and temper. Sometimes my mouth could use a little filter. God shook His head the day He built me. Oh, but I bet you there was a big grin plastered on His face and my Daddy couldn't be prouder and wouldn't trade me for anything in the world!

Although society may try and tell you something different, you can absolutely be a tomboy and a girly girl. Pick your battles, choose your favorites and just be you. Be the girl that walks into church wearing a gorgeous periwinkle dress with your favorite old converse, because trust me, being confident in both roles is much better than forcing yourself into something you’re not.

No comments:

Post a Comment