Friday, May 2, 2014

Mi Corazon at 69



There’s no bond quite like that between a mother and her child. She knows me in ways no one else ever will. She sees in me all the things I can still become and continue having faith that I can do and be whatever I want, no matter what my age. She is my number 1 fan, my confidant, my turn-to-person, my mentor, my hero when my whole world comes crashing down.  She is the first one I go to tell when things are doing great. The comfort coming from the friendship I have with her, the confidence that her faith in me in stills, and her unquestioning support of whatever I do, is irreplaceable. The kind of there-for-me that she is, is the very essence of what makes her a great mother.

When I think of the many words that I could use to describe my mother, one word that comes to mind is “COACH”. She ALWAYS gives me that PUSH I need in my life. When I was a child she encouraged me to always do what was right. In all of my forty years, she's also my taskmaster, my co-conspirator and, sometimes, even my loan officer. She taught me so many things, probably a lot more than what was taught in school.

Although you might not have pegged her as a business woman, she taught me about the art of deal-making. There were times she would say, "Okay, let us make a deal."  These deals never had any strings attached to them, which is why I always felt loved, but never made it in sales.

She taught me a lot about strength and endurance. In my case, it was trying to open recalcitrant jar tops for her or bringing down heavy boxes. But more often than not, it is her strength that I learned from, especially when Manoy passed away last year. We all worried so much about her, but she worried more about us. While many in her position may have become weaker, I saw her become stronger. She lived on because this family is her life and we are still here. We gave her strength, but unbeknownst to her, she gave us more.

She had taught me a lot of things about love and the meaning of family. Sometimes it is a play-by-play on the telenovela she is watching, regardless of whether or not I am interested. But most often, it is how she shows her unconditional love to not only blood relations, but to everyone – wife, husband, friend, girlfriend or boyfriend – ex or present of each member of the family. To her family, is not genetic, but a feeling. Once you were loved by someone she loved, she loved you.

She is the central hub of our family. The keystone in the arch. The foundation of our lives. I could talk endlessly about how amazing my mother is. I wear her unconditional love and support around me like a big hug every single day. She is my best friend, and that’s why I tell her as much as I can how grateful I am to have someone as amazing as she is as my mother.

Mom, I am so blessed to have you in my life. I’ve probably said it before, but I'll say it again — You are my angel on earth, Mom. Thank you for always, always being at my side and having my back. No one is in my corner quite the way you are. I treasure you, Mom, and love you more than life itself. You are an amazing soul ever ready to learn something new, always open to differing opinions, and so compassionate and kind. You have always taught by example. There will never be a day in my life when I won’t need you. I’m here for you too. Please remember that.

Happy, happy, happy birthday, Mom. Thank you for making my world a better place.

2 comments: